This recipe is a recent favourite that has become my go-to when we need to take food to parties. They go down a treat and aren’t too hard to make. #winning
I love sausage rolls and always have, especially when they’re drowned in tomato sauce. I first created these for this past Christmas and they’ve gone down a treat with everyone who has tried them since. To be honest, I was surprised at how quickly the sausage rolls are devoured by everyone each time I make them. I had a little moment the first time I made them because I felt very proud of myself for making food that people loved and helped the animals, my heart was full.
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for such a long time, this long weekend I’ve finally gotten around to it! If you make these, let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
For the sausage rolls, you will need:
- 1 C mushrooms diced (400g approx)
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 TBSP wholegrain mustard
- 3 sheets of puff pastry
- 1/4 C vegetable stock or water – you may need more depending on your blender
- 1 C flour approx + extra for after blending
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Dice the onion and finely chop garlic. Sautée in pan with olive oil and mushroom for approximately 5 minutes. Add sage, oregano and thyme, continue to sautée for 1 minute.
- Add mushroom mix to blender or food processor with mustard, nutritional yeast, lentils and flour. Blend until the mixture forms a dough like texture – it should be sticky. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Note: your mixture may be wetter / sticky if you had to use more water.
- Add additional flour gradually as needed to the mixture until it forms a dough like texture and is not as sticky any more.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and cut a sheet of pastry in half. Using a tablespoon, place the mixture along the pastry, 1 cm from the edge. Roll the pastry over the mixture to create a sausage roll. Repeat this process until all mixture is used.
- Place rolled pastry onto the oven tray and press sesame seeds onto tops of the sausage roll. Cut into desired size and place around the tray.
- Cook on 180 Celsius for approximately 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with tomato dipping sauce and enjoy.